THE LIFE SCIENCES COMPETENCE CENTER ASSOCIATION HAS BEEN FORMED
Author: Innovation Park Ticino
The Life Sciences Competence Center association, which will lead the third Competence Center of the Switzerland Innovation Park Ticino, was constituted today in Bellinzona, resulting from synergistic work between the Canton, Fondazione Agire, the City of Bellinzona, EOC, USI and several other actors related to the sector.
The center, which in the future will settle with its laboratories in the former IRB building in Via Vela made available by the City of Bellinzona, aims to promote innovation and research in the life sciences sector, the development of sustainable solutions and the creation of a network of collaborations between academic and industrial partners. These activities will be financed by a combination of public and private funds and will have the support of the most relevant life sciences research partners in the Ticino region who are among the founders.
The Steering Committee, elected by the Constitutional Assembly, includes representatives from various institutions and companies. Giorgio Calderari has been appointed super partes president of the committee, while Gionata Frasca has been appointed operational coordinator for the activities of the competence center.
Thanks to the Life Sciences competence center, Ticino confirms its strategic positioning in the sector in the Swiss and international context. The creation of a center of excellence, achieved thanks to the synergy between institutions and actors in the sector, testifies to the Canton’s commitment to fostering economic growth and innovation, and confirms the City of Bellinzona as an aggregating pole for the life sciences industry in Ticino. It also represents an important development opportunity for local and international companies operating in the field, offering them access to cutting-edge skills, technologies and infrastructure.
In this regard, the newly established competence center will also be presented on April 25, at the Swiss Biotech Day 2023 in Basel, a major event with biotech startups from around the world.
The founding members
- Ente Ospedaliero Cantonale (EOC)
- Università della Svizzera italiana (USI)
- Centro di ricerche biomediche della Svizzera italiana (Bios+)
- Scuola universitaria professionale della Svizzera italiana (SUPSI)
- Associazione Swiss Biotech
- Associazione Farma Industria Ticino (FIT)
- Associazione SwissMedtech
- Associazione Industrie Ticinesi (AITI)
- Città di Bellinzona
- Diverse aziende quali Humabs BioMed, Helsinn Healthcare, HAS Healthcare Advanced Synthesis, Rivopharm, Sintetica e FEMTOPrint
The Steering Committee
- Giorgio Calderari (presidente super partes)
- Alessandro Ceschi (EOC)
- Vittorio Limongelli (USI e SUPSI)
- Gabriele Gendotti (BIOS+)
- Piero Poli (FIT)
- Filippo Riva (Swiss Biotech)
- Giuseppe Perale (Swiss Medtech)
- Nicoletta Casanova (AITI)
- Gionata Frasca (coordinatore operativo)